Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Independent Film Coolness: The Spirit

For me, one of the greatest things about independent film is its spirit of expression.  This spirit can have various origins, whether it’s a need to say something new, to rework something old, to serve a niche audience, to experiment with filmmaking techniques, or to break into--or away from--the mainstream film business.

Whatever the motivations, this spirit can mean struggling, sacrificing, and possibly failing publicly.  As a consumer of independent film, I admire such daring and commitment.  Even when films sometimes don’t turn out so well, I appreciate the efforts of those who work outside the box.  There are many great things about indie cinema that I’ll discuss in upcoming posts, but I wanted to start here.

---

This post is part of a series in which I talk about independent film in a more detailed, wide-ranging, and personal way than I usually do here.  And it’s a chance to hear from you.  Feel free to post a comment anytime or let me know if you’d like to write a post.


For more on The Valley Film Festival, visit our website or Facebook page.

No comments: